Under the direction of the Communications Manager, the Communications Specialist will be the lead content creator for a variety of HGEA communications projects. This includes creating, coordinating, writing, and editing communication pieces and collateral. This person will work closely with all members of the communications team along with other departments of HGEA to implement the union’s communications strategy.
CONTENT CREATOR FOR PUBLICATIONS/INTERNET/eBlast/SOCIAL MEDIA/INTRANET
· Develop content ideas; conduct interviews with staff and members; write, edit, publish, and disseminate content for internal HGEA and external communications including talking points, field materials (newsletters, flyers, brochures), e-Bulletin (e-mail), social media, website, annual reports, etc.
· Work closely with other departments of HGEA to stay up to date with HGEA activities to proactively develop opportunities for storytelling and other communications activities.
· Responsible for overseeing, producing, and updating content for HGEA’s website, member portal, and intranet.
· Assist Communications Manager with media relations, drafting talking points, developing media responses, drafting editorials, and coordinating press conferences.
· Monitor and disseminate to HGEA staff on relevant media articles of interest to HGEA, including stories on HGEA, local unions, issues of importance to HGEA, national stories, etc.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university with a major in journalism, communications, public relations/marketing, or related field. Minimum five (5) years communications, public relations, and/or marketing experience, which included active involvement in gathering, writing and disseminating information to a wide audience through various media. Demonstrated experience in project management, including handling multiple assignments from conception to completion on deadline and within budget.
Knowledge of: The principles, techniques and work processes relating to public relations/marketing; processes involved in disseminating information through the various media and the most effective means of utilizing each medium; design and desktop publishing; and principles and practices of supervision. Knowledge of HGEA, union activities and local government operations is desired.
The individual must also have a proven track record of developing and implementing communication strategy, including: message development; crisis management; writing and/or producing media advisories and releases, and marketing materials; pitching events and stories; and events coordination.
Ability to: Think strategically, and communicate effectively verbally and in writing; develop, write, design, edit and produce effective informational material in a timely manner and under deadline pressure; identify and/or appropriately respond to news items which may have a positive or negative impact on the organization; maintain a positive working relationship with staff, media representatives, the HGEA membership, vendors and the general public; promote active communications with all facets of the organization; possess strong organizational skills; drive own vehicle for business activities; work flexible hours; and travel off island as required.
Team player, with the ability to work well with a diverse group of staff, members and external stakeholders.
Represents the organization both internally and externally by exhibiting HGEA’s core values and culture of service with ALOHA.
Application Requirements: Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open till filled.