URGENT! Submit testimony -- Senate WAM hearing on temporary GET increase and tax exemption proposal TODAY
April 06, 2011
The Senate Ways and Means Committee will hear HB 793, SD1 today, which includes proposals to temporarily raise the general excise and use tax (while decreasing the tax burden for lower wage earners by providing food and other tax credits) and temporarily suspend the general excise and use tax exemptions on certain business activities. The state cannot address the budget shortfall by simply continuing to cut vital government programs and services. These tax proposals are needed to help generate revenue to close a $1.3 billion budget deficit, and are a better approach than piecemeal tax increases proposed by the administration and House.
- Temporarily suspends from January 1, 2012, to June 30, 2015, the exemptions for certain persons and certain amounts of gross income or proceeds from the general excise and use tax and requires the payment of the tax.
- Temporarily increases from October 1, 2011, to September 30, 2013 the general excise and use tax and various public service company tax rates by one per cent. Temporarily provides food and other tax credits. Effective July 1, 2011; repealed June 30, 2015. (Proposed SD1)
VOICE YOUR SUPPORT!
Please take a moment to attend today’s hearing:
TODAY — Wednesday, April 6, 2011
State Capitol - Conference Room 211
(Decision making to follow, if time permits.)
... AND submit testimony!
Lawmakers need to hear directly from you -- and every testimony counts! Send emails to:
- Senate Ways and Means Committee at: WAMTestimony@Capitol.hawaii.gov (Please indicate the measure, date and time of the hearing.)
- All Senators: email@example.com
- All Representatives: firstname.lastname@example.org