HGEA members are a vital part of these islands we call home. Whether it is as a soccer coach, youth group leader, church official or charity volunteer, members donate their time, energy and skills to improve everyone's quality of life. To demonstrate its commitment to the community, HGEA has established a Committee on Community Action that plans activities and events, and encourages members to participate. This program improves the union's visibility in the community and increases the public's understanding of and support for HGEA.
HGEA members participate in various community events and activities throughout the state including:
- West Hawaii Adopt-a-Highway
- Patriotic Caroling at Okutsu Veterans' Home
- Special Olympics
- American Heart Association's Heart Walk
- Senior Center New Year gift project
- Christmas Caroling
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing
- West Hawaii Veteran's Cemetery Celebration
- Alzheimer's Walk
- Relay for Life
- Kokee Clean Up
- Relay for Life Rummage Sale
- Festival of Light Parade
- American Cancer Society Relay for Life
- Stamp out Hunger (with National Letter Carriers)
- American Red Cross - "Hats Off"
- Martin Luther King March
- Christmas Caroling
- Artificial Christmas Tree - Ornament making
- Food bank - Maui United Way
- Gravesite Cleanup - Waiehu
- Silversword Planting
- 21st Annual Children & Youth Day at the State Capitol
- Lanakila Meals on Wheels
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Parade
- Sanctuary Ocean Count, Whale Watch
- City & County Concrete Jungle
- American Cancer Society Relay for Life at Ala Moana Park, Magic Island
- National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) Food Drive
- 25th Annual Food Drive with the Hawaii FoodBank
- Halawa Xeriscape Garden
For more information about Community Action activities on Oahu, please email email@example.com.
How can I participate?
It is fun to participate in HGEA's community action events. You are with fellow members who, like yourself, believe in doing something to improve the quality of life in your community. And afterward, you feel good that you made a difference! To learn about our many activities or to volunteer, please contact your local HGEA office.